Barcelona is the cosmopolitan capital of Spain’s Catalonia region and is known for its art and architecture.
The fantastical Sagrada Família church and other modernist landmarks designed by Antoni Gaudí can be found dotted around the city. If you like art, then be sure to check out the Museu Picasso and Fundació Joan Miró which feature modern art by their namesakes. Another must do is the city history museum MUHBA, which includes several Roman archaeological sites.
Barcelona – We Bet You Didn’t Know…
- Barcelona is the first and only city that received a Royal Gold Medal for architecture in 1999.
- There were no beaches in Barcelona until 1992.
- Barcelona is the second largest city in Spain, after Madrid, and the 11th most populous urban area in the European Union.
- Camp Nou, Europe’s largest football stadium, is situated within Barcelona.
- Even though La Sagrada Familia is one of the major works of Antoni Gaudi, he was not the first architect to be appointed to work on it.
If you would like to visit Barcelona then call our team at Holiday Hamster on 08000 988 955. ‘Wheel Run Around For You’ in order to plan your perfect holiday to this wonderful Spanish destination.