Rome, Italy’s capital, is the ideal European city break destination. A cosmopolitan city, Rome has nearly 3,000 years of architecture, culture and globally influential art on display. Home to ancient ruins such as the Forum and the Colosseum, these venues evoke the power of the former Roman Empire. Be sure to visit the Vatican City, headquarters of the Roman Catholic Church, which has St. Peter’s Basilica and the Vatican Museums that house masterpieces such as Michelangelo’s Sistine Chapel frescoes.
Rome – We Bet You Didn’t Know…
- The entire metropolitan area of Rome has an estimated 3.7 million people.
- At it’s territorial peak in 117 AD, Rome spanned 2.5 million square miles.
- The word “palace” comes from Palatine Hill, where Augustus established the emperors’ tradition of building their palaces.
- Rome attracted 12.6 million tourists in 2013, with the Colosseum boasting 5.1 million visitors.
- Rome’s mascot is a she-wolf that cared for the brothers Romulus and Remus, the legendary founders of Rome.
If you would like to visit Rome then call our team at Holiday Hamster on 08000 988 955. ‘Wheel Run Around For You’ to plan your perfect holiday to this historical European city.