Virginia is a state located in the south east of the United States of America. Stretching from the Chesapeake Bay to the Appalachian Mountains, with a long Atlantic coastline.
Virginia is one of the original 13 colonies and has historic landmarks including Monticello, the founding father Thomas Jefferson’s iconic Charlottesville plantation. There is also the Jamestown Settlement and Colonial Williamsburg which are living-history museums reenacting Colonial and Revolutionary-era life.
Virginia – We Bet You Didn’t Know…
- Monticello Thomas Jefferson’s historic home, is the only private home in the United States to be named United Nations World Heritage site.
- Virginia handles 70% of the world’s internet traffic.
- With 35 miles of coastline, Virginia Beach has the longest stretch of pleasure beach in the world and has the Guinness World Record to prove it.
- The pentagon is the largest office building in the world.
- Virginia is home to a variety of memorials of many prominent historical figures, including; Abraham Lincoln, Franklin D Roosevelt, George Washington and Martin Later King Jr.