This month, Birchbox partnered with Buzzfeed Life to bring you hacks for one of the biggest holiday stressors: travel. Here, we share the editors’ best tricks for saving time, space, and money on the road.
1. Throw the hotel bar of soap into your dirty laundry bag so it doesn’t stink up your suitcase for the rest of your trip. Don’t have any bar of soap lying around? Use a dryer sheet.
2. Wear a night moisturizer on long flights because it’s extra hydrating and you’ll have plenty of time to let it sink in and do its job (you know, like fighting wrinkles and brightening skin).
3. Pack items like your laptop in smaller bags so you have options when you’re out and about. You don’t want to have to lug your carry-on bag with you everywhere, do you?
4. Store your power cords in an old sunglass case. It’ll keep you from losing your mind. We promise.
5. Ditch the blush, brightener, and lipstick in favour of an all-in-one makeup product. It’s a major space saver, and you now have an excuse to pick up a beauty souvenir while you’re away.
6. Make your own awesome travel beverage. Bring a thermos with lemon, honey, and your own tea bag. Then have the flight attendant fill it with hot water—it makes the flight a tiny bit more relaxing.
7. Use your mascara as an eyeliner—just press the wand as close to your waterline as possible. It won’t approximate a cat eye but it will give you an effortless, smudged look.
8. Infinity scarves give you infinite options. Use one as a blanket when you’re cold, or fold it over your face to block out the light for a nap.
9. Hot tools take up precious suitcase space. Spritz damp hair with sea salt spray, use a towel to tie it up “genie-style,” and sleep on it. Unwrap in the morning to reveal beachy waves.
10. If you bring some sort of hot styling tool, tuck it into a potholder to protect the clothes in your suitcase. Or pack a curling iron that comes with a handy heat-resistant carrying case.
11. Leggings are a safe and comfy bet for traveling. Wear them under dresses and skirts, or for a workout (if that’s your thing).
12. Find your product savior. May we suggest a travel-sized Egyptian Magic? It won’t be confiscated by Airport Security and can be used as a cuticle cream, lip balm, stray brow tamer, flyaway smoother—pretty much everything.
13. Use a pill container to store and sort your jewelry. So tidy!
14. Holiday overindulgence equals dull skin. Mask the effects of that eggnog with a brightening sheet mask. They’re single-use, take up zero space, and revive skin in less than 20 minutes.
15. Wear your heaviest shoes on the plane (like those cute ankle boots you just bought) as well as your heaviest coat. You’ll save room and that coat doubles as a good pillow, too.
16. Just traveling for the weekend? Put your foundation or powder into contact cases to bring small quantities.
17. Pack clothing items around a color scheme (denim/black/white/gray) so that it’s easy to mix and match. Dress up your outfits with scarves or jewelry.
18. Stash your bobby pins in a Tic Tac container to keep from losing them.
19. Bring several pairs of underwear in your carry-on—just in case your luggage winds up lost.
20. Collect travel- and sample-size items so you’ll have them when you need them.
21. Pre-pack what you can. Always have a toiletry bag ready, so that you don’t need to go crazy the night before you leave.
22. Place a cotton pad in your blush or powder compact to ensure that it won’t break while you’re in transit.
23. Wear something with preferably deep pockets on the plane—it’ll prevent you from having to dig through your bag for your phone, wallet, and boarding pass every five minutes.
This article originally appeared here.